Week 3 Response
Read the assigned readings for this week:
- Everett, S., & Moyer, R. (2007). “Inquirize” Your Teaching. Science and Children, 44(7), 54-57.
- Vincent, D., Cassel, D., & Milligan, J. (2008). Will it Float? Science and Children, 45(6), 36-39.
After you have completed the readings, include the following in a single discussion post:
- Write a brief (one paragraph) summary for each reading.
- Choose one of the following reflective prompts and respond.
- Everett and Moyer (2007) describe how not all hands-on activities are inquiry activities. Further, they explain how a teacher can use the 5E instructional model to “inquirize” instruction. Think of a hands-on science activity that you have either seen or experienced. Briefly describe that activity and then describe how it could be “inquirized” using the 5E model.
- The “Will it Float” activity is grounded in the science concept of density. What concepts might students already know going into this activity? What conceptual understanding of density would they develop as a result of this 5E activity? Which of the 5E stages explained in this article seems the most important for student learning? Explain your reasoning.