SED 590 Assessments and Questions
SED 590 Spring 2021- SHORT QUESTIONS YOUR NAME:
Directions: Please respond to the follow ing questions. You can write on the TEMPLATE. Make your response clear and short. Complete all questions before you send me a copy of answers.
SHORT ANSWER – CH 1)
1. Describe each of the five components of collaboration.
2. Define, and give an example, of interpersonal collaboration.
3. What are two ways that using the Internet and e-partnerships can support collaboration with colleagues?
4. List and explain three resources an individual could contribute to a collaborative activity.
5. List and explain two emergent characteristics of collaboration and describe why they are referred to as emergent.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 2)
21. Why is it important to reflect upon your cultural identity and value orientations in relation to communication?
22. Explain how the perception process creates misunderstanding. Give an example of a way to improve perceptual accuracy.
23. List and explain four factors central to the development of communication competence.
24. List and explain five steps for improving communication skills.
25. Define the term interpersonal communication and its critical elements.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 3)
1. List and explain four suggestions for using e-mail effectively.
2. List and explain four suggestions for improving listening skills.
23. List and explain four of the components of paralanguage.
24. When interacting with someone, explain what can happen if you fail to adequately listen and respond back in a hasty manner.
25. List and explain three principles that characterize verbal and nonverbal communication.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 4)
22. List and explain three types of questions that should be used very cautiously as they run the risk of making the person being asked feel defensive or unsure of how to respond.
23. Explain prefatory statements and include in the description the primary purpose in using them.
24. What are three suggestions presented in the text for effective interviews?
25. List and explain three suggestions for seeking information in nonthreatening ways.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 5)
1. Explain the difference between reactive problem solving and proactive problem solving.
2. Describe three reasons why a group of professionals may decide
to solve a problem.
3. Describe the technique of Plus/Minus/Implicaitons (PMI) and when it should be used.
4. List and explain each step involved in group problem solving.
5. Discuss the process of evaluating the outcome of group problem solving.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 6)
21. Define and give an example of an Educational Team .
22. List and explain three ways the RTI model differs from the pre-referral approach to problem solving.
3. List and explain two barriers to the effectiveness of special educations teams as presented in the text.
24. Compare the three models of team interaction. Contrast the three models concerning the role of the family, philosophy of team interaction, and lines of communication.
4. Explain the difference between the intervention assistance team and the teacher assistance team.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 7)
14. Describe some of the advantages to students in co-taught classes.
15. List and explain three instructional activities that are especially appropriate for parallel teaching.
23. Define co-teaching and give examples of each type of co-teachingsituations.
24. List and explain three examples of parity signals.
25. It is suggested that co-teachers routinely discuss certain topics in order to maintain a collaborativerelationship. List and explain six of these topics.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 8)
6. Define and give examples of school consultation, instructional coaching, and mentoring.
7. List and explain four characteristics of consultation.
8. Explain how consultation, coaching, and mentoring can be affected by the quality of the professional relationship, cultural differences, confidentiality, and time.
9. Describe four suggestions for being a consumer of consultation, coaching, or mentoring.
10. Explain each of the steps involved in the behavioral model of consultation.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 9)
20. Discuss, and give examples, of when it would be appropriate to use a compromising style when addressing conflict, including the benefits and drawbacks of using this style.
21. Define and give examples of conflict.
23. List and explain five potentially positive results from conflict.
24. Define and give examples of resistance.
25. Discuss three principles for successful negotiation as they relate to professional interactions in schools.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 10)
21. Define and give an example of paraeducator.
22. Describe three reasons for the increasing use of paraeducators in education.
23. Describe noninstructional responsibilities of paraeducators.
24. List and explain six examples of supervisory responsibilities that teachers have related to working with paraeducators.
25. Describe three types of ethical considerations involving work with paraeducators.
SHORT ANSWER (CH 11)
21. List and explain steps in developing intercultural competence.
22. List each of the four family life stages. Describe special considerations and challenges for families of children with disabilities at each of the four stages.
23. Using a definition broader than the traditional nuclear view, define and give an example of family.
24. Describe four value sets common across all cultures and known as Cultural Continua.
25. List and describe one way as a professional, you can assist families in making successful age related transitions within each life cycle stage
SHORT ANSWER (CH 12)
21. List and explain the CEC policy on inclusive communities and the professional relationship to the policy.
22. List and explain two issues that can arise as a result of interagenc y collaboration.
23. Marse Middle School is forming a partnership with Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Lion County. List and explain four strategies the school should consider for effective partnerships.
5. Describe two common ethical considerations in collaborative practice.
25. Discuss two of the elements of ethical reasoning which are relevant for the field of special education.